Mae De DeusChapel
Goa, an important holiday destinatin for tourists within India and outside, is known for its ‘Churches and Beaches’ and all the more for St.Francis Xavier, whose mortal remains are reposed at the Basilica of Bom Jesus, old Goa. Following the footsteps of our founder who wanted to set fire to the four corners of the world, a deep desire existed for a long time to open a SSS comminity inthe Christian dominated State of Goa that has contributed immensely to the Church in India. The history of Gaunsavaddo dates back to 1568 when the earliest church in Siolim was founded by the Franciscans under the patronage of Our Lady Mother of God. The Foundation stone for the present church was laid n 7th February 1867 and the church itself was blessed and inaugurated on 26th November 1873. The statue of ‘Mae De Deus’ – Mary Mother of God kept in the church is an exquisite statue of excellent Goan workmanship which the masterly hand of an artist carpenter had chiseled out, painted in golden colour.
On 1st June 1994 Fr Salvador Gomes Coutinho sss, Br Pascoal Godinho sss along with an aspirant arrived at Goundavaddo from Mumbai to take charge of the Mae De Deus Chapel and to set up the first SSS house in Goa. At a solemn Eucharistic celebration on 26th June 1994 the Archbishop of Goa, Rt.Rev.Raul Gonsalves installed the Blessed Sacrament Community in Goa. However, the formal approval of the Congregation in the Diocese was obtained only in December 1996. The residence was modified to suit the needs of the religious community Fr Salvador sss, Fr Erasto Fernandes sss, Br Pascoal sss, Deacon Cletus sss, are some of the pioneets who contributed significantly to the spread of Eucharistic mission in Goa. Fr Bismarque Dias sss and Br Pascoal Godinho sss continued the mission of the congregation. Then the community (Fr Bismarque Dias, Bro Henry and Regent Dominic Savio Horikotti) was shifted to Bombolim, Goa in the year 2003 while the chapel was given back to Archdiocese. After the long break, the province in India decided to take up the chapel in 2017. The present team consists of Fr Uthariyanathan sss and Fr Martine sss.